Строительство на Лазурном берегу

Construction on the Côte d'Azur

Construction from scratch on a turnkey basis
We provide a full range of services for the construction of a turnkey villa, house or mansion on the entire Côte d’Azur, from Saint-Tropez to Monaco.
Increase in living space
We help you increase and expand the living space of your villa or house on the Côte d’Azur through redevelopment and renovation.
Reconstruction and renovation
We offer a full range of services for the reconstruction and renovation of real estate on the Cote d’Azur, competently coordinating your projects with French laws.
Found a suitable property in France, but can’t figure out its documentation? We will help you.
We will select and implement the best option for building a pool, depending on the desired time frame and budget.
Repair and improvement of building walls. Selection of materials that allow not only to extend the service life, but also to create a unique architectural look.
We make a draft of the house for the installation of elevators, help determine the type of elevator (electric or hydraulic), its lifting capacity and model depending on the object.
The ability to see in real time everything that happens in your home and yard. It is an effective method of preventing unauthorized entry and controlling personnel.
A full range of construction and installation work on the Côte d’Azur. Any idea you have can be implemented by our specialists.
Construction services on the French Côte d'Azur

With our help you can successfully solve a number of issues, such as obtaining building rights or demolition of a house, changing the purpose of the property, increasing the living space, installing an elevator, classic renovation or large-scale construction work. At the same time we are not a construction company, because together with the client we want to have a choice, between different solutions provided by different architects, a choice between construction companies, each with their own quality, features and prices, between specialists in different fields.

We have been successfully providing this type of construction service to our management customers for more than 15 years. Our work on behalf of the customer is particularly appreciated, as we think like a customer and monitor the quality of work, reporting regularly to the customer. Construction companies, architects, town halls, know us and see us as an expert and the owner’s confidant interested in the result.

Assessing Property and Land Potential (Etude de faisabilité)

To gain a clear understanding of what is legally permissible in terms of building, expanding, or altering a house, particularly before starting any construction, we highly recommend conducting a feasibility study with an architect. This study, termed 'Feasibility Study' or 'Etude de faisabilité,' is crucial in determining the allowable scope for future construction. It considers landscape and architectural design aspects in line with local regulations. The study serves several key purposes:

  • Evaluating the project's feasibility, including its scope and constraints.
  • Gathering detailed information about the site and existing structures.
  • Developing solutions to optimize the project's execution.
  • Identifying essential parties involved in the project.
  • Conducting a comprehensive risk assessment of the project.
  • Providing an estimate of the project's costs.
Collaborating with Architects and Surveyors

Engaging an architect is crucial for various construction phases. They're invaluable for assessing the property's potential, creating architectural and design plans, obtaining building permits, preparing construction blueprints, and ensuring that construction aligns with these plans. To apply for construction or demolition rights, the architect fills out a detailed application and submits a dossier to the local municipality, including all plans. A land surveyor, or géomètre-topographe, then aligns these plans with the actual site and structure, mapping out the property boundaries and topographical elevations in 2D and 3D. If property boundaries are uncertain, the surveyor conducts a detailed re-survey. The local municipality provides an urbanism certificate, detailing the precise boundaries upon the buyer's request.

Municipal Authorities and ABF (Architecte Batiment de France)

A well-formulated project that adheres to local norms and presents an appealing, environmentally conscious design can significantly boost the chances of approval from municipal authorities. This process involves submitting a comprehensive application, including the necessary documents, to the local city hall. The application is registered within 15 days of submission, and a response is expected within two months. If the city hall does not respond within this timeframe, permission is granted by default.

Projects near protected historical sites or nature reserves require additional oversight, typically by the State Architect (ABF or Architecte Batiment de France). These scenarios may extend the review process by up to three months, often necessitating further justifications and potential compromises from the property owner.

Purchasing Land for Construction

On the French Riviera, not all land is designated for building. The local urban planning document, PLU (Plan Local de l’Urbanisme), determines if construction is permissible. Each plot has a specific development coefficient, COS (Coefficient d’Occupation des Sols), dictating the allowable building area, measured as SHON (Surface Hors-Oeuvre Nette).

The land purchase process in France mirrors the general real estate buying procedure: it begins with a preliminary sale agreement, stipulating the plot's buildable area and the conditions necessary for sale completion, including obtaining an urbanism certificate, a building permit, and, if needed, loan approval. It's advisable not to enter into a construction contract before acquiring legal ownership of the land.

The urbanism certificate (certificat d’urbanisme) outlines any administrative restrictions on ownership, local urban planning directly affecting the plot, and applicable taxes and fees. It clearly defines the rights and responsibilities associated with owning the land.

What are the nuances of building in France on the Côte d'Azur?
Shouldn’t I convert the garage into an extra living room? Or maybe enlarge the swimming pool? Or build a greenhouse for growing vegetables near the house, and next to it a garden house for tools? And, perhaps, let me repaint the facade! Where are the limits and when do I have to ask for a building permit?
For pools up to 10 m² (Building code Art. R 421-2 of CU)
No formalities
For open-air pools from 10 to 100 m² or with a cover, not exceeding 1.80 m in height (Building code Art. R 421-9 of CU)
Declaration of works
For open-air pools over 100 m² or covered, exceeding 1.80 m in height (Building code Art. R 421-1 of CU)
Building permit
For converting a garage into a living room (Building code Art. R 421-17 of CU)
Declaration of works
In case of modification of existing structures or façade (Building code Art. R 421-14 of CU)
Building permit
For a greenhouse equal to or less than 1.80 m in height (Building code Art. R 421-2 of CU)
No formalities
For a greenhouse over 1.80 m, but not over 4 m in height and an area not exceeding 2000 m² (Building code Art. R 421-1 of CU)
Declaration of works
For a greenhouse with a height of more than 4 m or an area more than 2000 m² (Building code Art. R 421-1 of CU)
Building permit
For a garden shed with a floor area equal to or less than 5 m² (Building code Art. R 421-2 of CU)
No formalities
For a garden shed with a floor area from 5 m² to 20 m² (Building code Art. R 421-9 of CU)
Declaration of works
For a garden shed with a floor area more than 20 m² (Building code Art. R 421-1 of CU)
Building permit
For fitting an attic or veranda with a floor area equal to or less than 5 m² (Building code Art. R 421-13 of CU)
No formalities
For fitting an attic or veranda with a floor area from 5 m² to 20 m² (Building code Art. R 421-17 of CU)
Declaration of works
For fitting an attic or veranda with a floor area more than 20 m² (Building code Art. R 421-14 of CU)
Building permit
For an extension with a floor area not more than 20 m² (Building code Art. R 421-17 of CU)
Declaration of works
For an extension with a floor area more than 20 m² (Building code Art. R 421-14 of CU)
Building permit
For the creation of a terrace on the same level as the ground floor (Building code Art. R 421-2 of CU)
No formalities
When creating or enlarging windows or doors, in case of changing the external appearance (Building code Art. R 421-17 of CU)
Declaration of works
If the facade finishing is for a building subject to special protection (e.g., historical monument) or is in a municipality that requires a declaration of work
Declaration of works
If the building is under certain protection (e.g., located on a protected site or listed as a historical monument) or is in a municipality where the Municipal Council has introduced the use of demolition permits
Demolition permit
You may also like
Real Estate Prices on the French Riviera
Real Estate Prices on the French Riviera
List of all
Questions and Answers

If you have any doubts or clarifying questions, please contact our specialists and get a personalized offer.

View more FAQ

Leave a request
Frequently Asked Questions
Construction Permit (Permis de construire, PC)

A building permit (Permis de construire) is the main instrument of town planning control and is issued in two cases:

  • for the construction of a single house and/or annexes (Permis de construire maison et/ou ses annexes);
  • for general construction (Permis de construire général). 
Note: In France, it is customary to include all items of the project in the original application and to use the amendment application only for modifications to the original project. You should not apply for a «building permit» (permis de construire) for most, but not all, work in the hope that the rest will be added as amendments — it probably won’t work.

Architects and building permits

Only an architect has the authority to apply for a building permit. By law, the application for a building permit (Permis de construire) can only be considered after a qualified licensed architect has approved the architectural design, i.e., the preparation of a set of documents including a written description of the scope of work, the location of the objects and the choice of materials, as well as a site plan and sectional drawings (internal side view and vertical cross-section of the building).

Note: According to Article L421-2 of the Town Planning Code, the exception is an application for a building permit for a detached detached house, provided that on completion its total usable area does not exceed 170 square meters. The exception applies only to private owners; for all commercial and other projects that require a building permit, regardless of the size of the property, an architect must be involved.

Permit to construct a dwelling house and/or annexes (Permis de construire maison et/ou ses annexes)

The Permis de construire maison et/ou ses annexes application form takes into account the possibility that the applicant’s principal place of residence is outside France and allows for the exchange of all correspondence with the architect or a third party in place of the applicant.

The application form includes separate boxes for swimming pools, garages, greenhouses and garden sheds, as well as a section on the demolition of existing structures, so that a separate demolition permit does not need to be filed, and also provides the possibility of sending correspondence to both the prospective buyer and the neighbors if additional work affects their plot.

Correspondence with the Department of City Planning is currently allowed via email and the submission of PDF drawings.

Providing the architect’s contact information and license numbers along with the architect’s signature is required. Severe penalties apply to architects who sign someone else’s drawings: the architect’s license is revoked for three months, the client’s permit is revoked, and a fine is imposed on the author of the drawings who received payment for them.

Board of Architecture, Urban Planning and Environmental Protection

When applying for a building permit on your own, you must contact the local branch of the Conseil d’Architecture, d’Urbanisme et d’Environnement (CAUE) before submitting it to obtain advice on the architectural content of the project. There is a box on the application to confirm this request; the review of the project may be delayed if no recommendation has been received.

What work requires a «Permit to Construct a House and/or Additions»

Extension of a building by building more than 20 square meters of floor area (surface hors œuvre brut, SHOB). Works to change the load-bearing structures/walls or façade of a building while changing the purpose of an ancillary room of the building without changing the purpose of the building itself. Work to change the volume of a building or to create new or enlarge existing openings in exterior walls. Construction of swimming pools less than 1.8 m in depth and over 100 square meters in area. All swimming pools with a depth of more than 1.8 m. 

An approximate list of required documents:

  • A site plan at a scale of 1:5000 or 1:10000 showing the location of the site in the county.
  • A cadastral plan at a scale of 1:2000/ 1000.
  • An urban plan of existing or proposed facilities at a scale of 1:500.
  • Floor plan of the existing building at a scale of 1:100 (if applicable).
  • Drawings of all facades of the existing building (if applicable) showing the spatial dimensions of windows and doors at a scale of 1:100.
  • Drawings of all cross-sections of the existing building (if applicable) at a scale of 1:100.
  • Floor plan of the projected building at a scale of 1:100 with spatial dimensions.
  • Drawings of reamers of all facades of the designed building with indication of spatial dimensions of windows and doors in scale 1:100 and indication of materials.
  • Drawings of cuts in scale 1:100.
  • Drawings of 1:200 scale sectional drawings indicating levels of projected modifications to the facility.
  • Two photographs of the existing facility and/or a photomontage/visual simulation of the projected facility.
  • An explanatory note on the impact of the project on landscape integrity.
  • Combined design drawings of key points including access road, landscaping, and plantings.
  • A written note explaining the visual effect of the project on the surrounding area, which should include:
  • The functional zoning of the entire site.
  • The surrounding off-site area (houses, streets, landscaping).
  • Existing building and landscaping within the site, including hedges, garden plantings, and existing materials.
  • A description of the architectural concept of the project, including materials and colors (there are no longer separate boxes on the application for this information). The consultation with an architect from the local Conseil d’Architecture, d’Urbanisme et d’Environnement (CAUE) should always be mentioned in this box.

Permit to develop the site (Permis d'aménager, PA)

The Permis d’Aménager, PA (Permis d’Aménager, PA) application form covers applications for campsites/trailer parks, sports fields and recreation areas, and common areas, including public parking lots and parks.

What work requires a «Site Development Permit»

  • Construction of roads and/or common areas on two or more delineated lots.
  • Construction of roads and/or common areas.
  • Development or expansion of a campground for 20 or more persons or 6 or more tents, trailers, or mobile homes.
  • Construction or expansion of camping complexes based on wooden camping cabins and mobile homes. 
  • The construction or extension of auto-tourist complexes.
  • Development of sports stadiums, carting tracks.
  • An amusement park of more than 2 hectares.
  • Golf courses of more than 25 hectares.
  • Arrangement of public parking lots with at least 50 parking slots

The town planning code and the law on the environment in France

Most of the projects mentioned above must meet not only the requirements of the Town Planning Code (Code de l’Urbanisme) but also those of the Environmental Code (Code de l’Environnement). Moreover, many projects require various assessments and surveys in order to obtain a «Site Development Permit».

For example, a golf course will require an environmental impact assessment (EU directive) and possibly, under the environmental law, an application for deforestation (défrichement), an opinion under water law (loisur l’eau), and many other documents submitted along with an application for a «Permit to develop a site» (Permis d’aménager).For any project involving a change of use of a land, you must first consult an architect and/or a Design Bureau (Bureau des etu.

Permit for general construction work

The basic package of documents for a general building permit (Permis de construire général) is identical to that required for a building permit for a house and/or annexes (Permis de construire maison et/ou ses annexes). However, it is likely that additional documentation may be required, which cannot be listed here due to its great dependence on the type of building. Documents can only be submitted by a licensed architect — it is advisable to contact the architect in advance for specific details on each non-residential construction issue.

Application Filing:

  • 4 copies of the application package, application, additional copies and/or additional surveys. 
  • Response to the application is within 3 months.

Application to amend a valid building permit (Modification d'un permis délivré en cours de validité)

Application for Amendment of a Valid Building Permit (Permis délivré en cours de validité)If, after obtaining a building permit, it becomes necessary to change any aspect of the project during the course of the work on the site, a corrective application (Permis modificatif) for an amendment to a valid building permit (Permis délivré en cours de validité) must be submitted. This permit is required when there is a change in the design number of windows, living space, or an increase in the scope of the project. It is not advisable to start work before obtaining the official approval of the «Permis modificatif», because if it is rejected, you will have to go back to the original project and remove all the modifications already carried out, even if this means demolishing them. The «Adjustment Application» form (Permis modificatif) applies to the Building Permit (permis de construire), the Building Permit for a detached house and/or annexes (permis de construire maison et/ou ses annexes) and the Site Development Permit (permis d’aménager) with mandatory approval of any changes made during the design or construction phase, until final acceptance of the construction work and declaration of completion in accordance with the permit.


  • 4 copies of the package of documents + application to be submitted to the City Hall.

Review of application:

  • 2 months — Permit to construct a residential house (Permis de construire maison);
  • 3 months — Building Permit (Permis de construire) or Settlement Permit (Permis de construire or Permis d’aménager).
Submit your application for real estate sale
Our specialist will contact you in any way convenient for you

By clicking on the "Submit" button, you consent to the processing of personal data in accordance with our Privacy Policy